Trump ends Kamala Harris' Secret Service protection: report

Then-President Biden had extended Vice President Kamala Harris' Secret Service protection for another year

Published: August 29, 2025 8:49am

Updated: August 29, 2025 9:06am

President Donald Trump has reportedly revoked former Vice President Kamala Harris' Secret Service protection.

Former vice presidents receive six months of Secret Service protection after leaving office, which was July 21 for Harris. Her protection had been extended for an additional year via a directive from then-President Joe Biden, according to CNN. On Thursday, according to a copy of a letter reviewed by the media outlet, Trump canceled the order.

“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the letter to Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem reads.

Kirsten Allen, a Harris senior adviser, told CNN, “The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety.”

Harris is about to begin a book tour for her new memoir, “107 Days,” which is on her short presidential campaign, and set to be released Sept. 23.

The Secret Service detail for Doug Emhoff, Harris' husband, ended on July 21, per the standard provisions for a former vice president's spouse.

In addition to guarding a person, Secret Service protection includes threat intelligence analysis. People familiar with Harris' security operations told CNN that her aides are worried they will lose the same access to threat warnings. A similar level of protection privately could possibly cost millions of dollars annually.

Harris' home is in Los Angeles, and the city's mayor and California Gov. Gavin Newsom were in contact on Thursday regarding the end of the former vice president's Secret Service detail. She could receive protection from the Los Angeles Police Department. 

“This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more. This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles,” Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass (D) said.

Newsom spokesperson Bob Salladay said regarding Trump's decision to cancel Harris' protection, “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses.”

The Facts Inside Our Reporter's Notebook

Just the News Spotlight

Support Just the News