Tulsi Gabbard resigns as director of National Intelligence: report
Gabbard notified President Donald Trump during a meeting in the Oval Office, explaining that she is leaving the post to support her husband who has "an extremely rare form of bone cancer."
Tulsi Gabbard resigned Friday from her post as director of National Intelligence.
Gabbard notified President Donald Trump during a meeting in the Oval Office, explaining that she is leaving to support her husband, Abraham, who has "an extremely rare form of bone cancer," Fox News reported.
In her resignation letter, Gabbard said, she is "deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half."
Gabbard said her husband's illness will present "major challenges in the coming weeks and months." She described him as "her rock through eleven years of marriage."
She noted her accomplishments in her position, saying she advanced "unprecedented transparency" and restored integrity in the intelligence community.
During her time as director, she initiated reforms, including reducing the size of the agency, dismantling DEI programs and saving taxpayers more than $700 million per year. This month, she declassified more than a million pages related to the Trump-Russia investigation and the assassinations of John F. Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy. She also created a working group to probe efforts during the Biden administration to weaponize government.
"There is still work to be done," Gabbard added in her letter.
Her resignation is effective June 30, 2026.