Blanche says DOJ fight over voter rolls could go to the Supreme Court: 'absolutely' a possibility
The Justice Department filed 30 lawsuits against states that refused to turn over their rolls, and it's lost 22 of those cases so far.
Attorney General Todd Blanche said the Justice Department could take its effort to obtain states' voter rolls all the way to the Supreme Court following its loss in 22 cases in federal courts.
"Absolutely, it's a possibility," Blanche said on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday.
In March 2025, President Donald Trump signed an executive order directing the federal government to take action on election oversight. Acting on the order, the Justice Department began demanding states turn over their official lists of registered voters.
The Justice Department filed 30 lawsuits against states that refused to turn over their rolls, and it's lost 22 of those cases so far, NOTUS reported.
The Constitution designates states as having the primary authority over the administration of elections, and Blanche said the president "understands" that.
"But it doesn't mean the federal government should play no role," Blanche said.