Australian man charged with hate crime for allegedly damaging Brisbane synagogue with truck

Queensland Police said no one was injured in the incident and officials do not believe there is an active threat to the public. The suspect will face Brisbane Magistrates Court on Saturday.

Published: February 20, 2026 9:43pm

An Australian man was charged Friday night for allegedly damaging a famous synagogue in Brisbane by knocking down the building's gates with his truck. 

The 32-year-old, who has not been publicly identified so far, has been charged with willful damage, serious vilification or hate crime, dangerous operation of a vehicle, possession of dangerous drugs and possession of utensils or pipes etc. for use, Fox News reported.

Queensland Police said no one was injured in the incident and officials do not believe there is an active threat to the public. The suspect will face Brisbane Magistrates Court on Saturday.

"The Queensland Police Service is focused on ensuring community safety and continues to support and engage with all local religious communities," the agency wrote.

The incident is the latest antisemitic attack in Australia and comes just two months after a deadly mass shooting at a beach in Sydney, which targeted a Hanukkah celebration and resulted in the deaths of 15 people and injured over two dozen others.

"This is another signal as to why we have put strong laws before Parliament to protect all people where they worship," Queensland Premier David Crisafulli wrote of Friday's attack in a statement on X. "We are going through the process and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of Parliament."

The Facts Inside Our Reporter's Notebook

Just the News Spotlight

Support Just the News