Trump says he's delaying planned strikes on Iran, citing negotiations, 'Deal will be made'

Trump previously backed off a threat to destroy Iranian civil infrastructure due to the advent of a ceasefire brokered by Pakistan.

Published: May 18, 2026 3:25pm

Updated: May 18, 2026 3:38pm

President Donald Trump said Monday that he had delayed a planned attack on Iran at the request of the Gulf States, citing what he called "serious negotiations."

The U.S. and Israel have been at war with Iran since Feb. 28. While the U.S. and Iran are under a weeks-long ceasefire, the sides cannot agree to a peace agreement, with Iran's pursuit of a nuclear weapon a major sticking point. 

"I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond," Trump posted on Truth Social.

"This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached," he added.

Trump previously backed off a threat to destroy Iranian civil infrastructure due to the advent of the ceasefire, brokered by Pakistan. 

Trump has repeatedly fumed over Iran's peace-negotiation tactics, asserting that divisions within the Tehran government had made it nearly impossible to reach an agreement with the country.

Despite the ongoing ceasefire, Iran and several Gulf States have traded strikes while fighting continues in Lebanon between Israel and Hezbollah.

Ben Whedon is the Chief Political Correspondent for Just the News. Follow him on X.

The Facts Inside Our Reporter's Notebook

Just the News Spotlight

Support Just the News